HISTORY OF THE STEPHENS CITY VOLUNTEER FIRE & RESCUE COMPANY
(A Brief Outline)
During the late 1930s, there were several devastating fires in Stephens City.
Some residents saw this as a prime opportunity to form a local fire company rather than waiting for fire engines from Winchester to arrive.
Townspeople organized the Independent Hose Company of Stephens City, Va. A ladies auxiliary was also formed to help with fund raisers to build a fire hall. Julian Steele was the first fire chief and Robert E. Aylor was first president. First firefighters were H.R. “Boots” Mills, Maurice Lemley, Joseph Clevenger, John Gossard, Marshall Venable, and Dave Brumback.
In August, 1939, the Independent Hose Company requested financial assistance from the Town Council. Corporation of Stephens City (town’s name at the time) voted a bond issue to build a water system to provide water for firefighting.
The first fire engine was a 1933 Dodge chemical truck which the members purchased from the South End Fire Company (at that time known as South End Hose Company) in Winchester, Va. The truck was originally housed in the basement of the Stephens City School on Main Street.